Why I deleted my Facebook account

Many people are asking themselves the same question I asked myself, "Why did I just spend 20+ minutes scrolling through this stuff..." Then I think, "I'll NEVER get those 20 minutes back!" Considering that I work in publishing and online media I should probably not be encouraging folks to delete their Facebook or any other accounts. But guess what, I'm going to anyway.

Morpheus knows.

There is a huge list of why I couldn't waste anymore time on Facebook. Why would I waste your time going through that. I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

How about this, instead let me tell what I have done in the past week now that I no longer look at Facebook. I read two graphic novels that have been sitting on my desk for over a month, played board games with the kids more, sat with the teenagers 3 times and had long conversations, listen to podcasts, started running again, went for a bike ride and made banana bread. All of these things I did without taking a photo and posting about it, instead I just enjoyed it. Nothing more. And it feels really good.

Some people might have better self control than I do with their smartphones and social media. But every time I am at my kids sports team practice or music concert all I see is people staring at their phones.  Maybe they are reading?! But... I kinda doubt it.

Whoever came up with this.. <3.

I asked myself what is Facebook really doing for me. I went through the reasons I had come up with to keep the account for the past year of contemplation:
Do I actually have engaging conversations with people on it? No.
Do I really stay connected to family? No.
Are people I kind of knew from High School still my friends? (WERE THEY EVER!!! LOL.) No.
Do I get news I want to read? No. I still go to news websites and read the daily frustrations.
Does it make me happy? No. <--Right there is where I said "delete".

So I signed up for e-newsletters from my favorite media websites. Subscribed to a few more podcasts. Added a few more books to my reading list. And I am looking into a paper newspaper subscription.

It is a challenge to not look at social media or screens in general. I still subscribe to Instagram, but I've hidden the app in a folder on my phone in the hopes to be tempted less. I also have a Twitter account I haven't looked at in ages... should probably delete that.

I work on a screen all day and social media is a big part of my job. But I don't believe its the future everyone seems to think it is. Algorithms and behavioral programming is making social media untrustworthy and unreliable. Add current news and it's a recipe of anger and stress for me. Get away from your social media for just one week and see how it goes, you might just like it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends