Winter sanity check

Is it spring yet? We've been living in Pittsburgh for 13 years, still... winter can kiss the plumpest part of my bottom. My guess is growing up in Ventura, CA and spending summers in Yuma, AZ has made me cringe at winter every time the season comes around. The hubby and I have tried over the years to "get into" winter activities but it always ends with two rather unhappy and whiny individuals.

cold sweater life
Too cold for me.

Yes, yes, yes I work for a bicycle publishing company and I should suck it up and go ride. And sometimes I do, I will muster the ride to the store or a quick ride on the local trails if things are not muddy. But its rare I can talk myself into it (much easier to talk myself out of it) and its not nearly at the capacity I ride from Spring-Fall.

I definitely get the winter blues and with everything going on in the news it seems likes its tripled this year. So, whats my remedy for winter-stuck-inside-dreary-day-blues?... The answer is... wait for it... any kind of physical activity on a daily basis. Luckily, we have had a cold and rainy, but non-snowy winter. So I've been running with the dog in the mornings 4-days a week and have recently attempted to get back into rock climbing via our local indoor climbing gym. I can say that doing both of these has helped my energy levels, and my overall sense of mental health.

rock climbing shoes xray
My 12+ year old climbing shoes still sort of fit.

I do have our affordable bike trainer setup but have yet to get on it. Its loud and my only times to exercise while juggling work and parenting is early morning or late evening... I might invest in a Smart Trainer next year, looking at Wahoo Fitness Kicker that syncs with the Zwift app. Looks very cool and lines up with my video game love. But it is a serious chunk of change for this Mom with 2 kids and too many expensive hobbies.

But seriously people, any type of activity; jumping jacks everyday, play Just Dance, Yoga at home or in a studio, go to gym, etc. It will really help ease stress levels that most of us are having right now.
Keep on keepin' on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends