A great Geek Week

Under all my attempts at being outdoors, riding bikes and being a Mom/Wife I have always been (and always will be) a "Geek".  Star Wars, comic books, sci-fi, fantasy movies and books. I love it all and I have passed down some of this love onto my hubby and kids. Go me!

Independent Comic Book Expo (PIX), Tekkoshocon, new Rogue (#Rouge.. that's so funny) One trailer and a new Fantastic Beast and Where to find them trailer. Needless to say the past two weeks have been good.

At PIX I got to meet Grace Ellis, co creator of the Lumberjanes comic book and very nice individual. And, I meet Caitlin Rose Boyle co-creator or Jonesy. It is always great to meet women in an industry where women are under-represented. Both of these ladies, along with quite a few others, are really setting the tone that women in comic books are here to stay. And as I complimented both of them for creating a comic book that I will let my kids read.

Lumberjanes-24-variant-cover-comic-book
Issue 24 of Lumberjanes, variant cover.

Last weekend I took my Japanese language taking, anime and manga loving 13yo to Tekkoshocon, or Tekko. An anime convention in Pittsburgh. We made cosplay outfits and walked in circles for hours, played Japanese influenced video games, she got to hangout with her friends and had her first glance into the local dedication of Japanese culture. And she spent all her money, which seemed to be her one serious goal of the weekend.

Pokemon-cosplay-easy-diy
We are Pokemon!
As a parent I am so excited that my kids embrace some of the things I enjoy and that they allow me to be part of the things they want to do. Next month is May the 4th be with you and Free Comic Book Day. Next weekend is Steel City Con in Monroeville, but I'm traveling for work and will miss this one.

I'm off to Monterey, CA Wednesday for bike things! More on that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of Winter Weekends

Tidying the closet; my love for shoes, bags and clothes