Back to Blogging and 2016 tidying adventures

Hello Blog!
After a hiatus from blogging, I'm back. It's a New Year and although its snowing and cold outside (boo! hiss!) I am looking forward to the adventures this year brings. Right now I am about to embark on the adventure of tidying! I am actually very excited about this.

I've started off 2016 by reading this wonderful book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up" by Marie Kondo. This book is a guide to decluttering your home and Marie is a Japanese tidying consultant. The overall point I took form this book is to surround yourself with the things that bring you joy. I am generally a tidy, organized person, but have never been able to stop having to pick-up my house or stop obtaining stuff. It has been an endless cycle for years. Needless to say one of my 2016 goals to declutter my home and lifestyle so I can really focus on what brings me joy. This book has the tools and tips to try and make that happen.

my-new-favorite-tidying-book
the life-changing magic of tidying up by marie kondo

Since I am not a fan of the winter cold, its the perfect time to tackle this project. I will be locked in my house enjoying warm beverages for the next 2-3 months. Rather than sit on my arse and add another size to my waistline, I shall tidy!... while eating chocolate...

my-combination-for-success
loose leaf tea & paper-rock-scissors-lizard-spock a combination for success

Step one.
Ask myself why I want to be tidy... then ask why of that answer at least three time.

Example; I want to be be tidy so that I am not distracted by the need to pick up or clean the house every weekend.
Why?
To take that energy and put it towards being more focused on the things I enjoy.
Why?
To spend more time giving myself & kids experiences, enjoying and furthering my skills with hobbies, and read more.
Why?
To live a happier life.

I have all my answers written down in a notebook with notes about that book. Yes, I took notes. I am that person. Taking notes about tidying. Once I don't need the notes I will throw them out. But the act of writing down what you want to focus on the most is important. I came to a few conclusions:
  • Spend more time learning to crochet better
  • Have more time to read more, play video games, and do the occasional puzzle
  • More time outside with less worry of a growing "to-do" list: canoeing, biking, camping
  • All of the above incorporates spending time with the kids
  • Have room to comfortably stretch every morning 
  • And! To have a clear mind to focus more on future endeavors
Step 1. Complete.

Follow my Instagram feed for the adventure of my tidying. How many hats do I own?... A lot.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends

Tidying the closet; my love for shoes, bags and clothes