Our favorite Family Board games

We love board games, we are not experts on the topic, but here are a few of our favorites that the entire family can play.

Apples to Apples Jr. is for ages 9 and up, but my (just turned) 8 year old has no problems playing and understanding the concept of how to play. It also entertains my 12 year old teen daughter.
Educational wise the game gives the opportunity to teach new words, what they mean and how other words could relate to it.

This game gets very fun, and rounds of laughter happen often. We scored our game at the Thrift Store for $2, but I've seen the game available used online for $6-$15. And I've seen it on super sale during holidays at your local big Box store, for $10-12.


Our second most played game is Trivial Pursuit Kids. Like most Trivial Pursuit games, the questions cover entertainment, history, people, animal, etc. We often have to sift through the cards to find a question the 8yo might know or would be good for him to know. We also change the rules a little so the adults don't get to go again when they get a question right.

There are often question that I don't know, and the pre-teen is excited she knows and I don't.
Again, I scored an old version of the game at a Thrift Store with some very irrelevant tv show questions. Trivial Pursuit games can be a little pricey, I've seen them for $20-$50.

This last game is one of my favorites. Tsuro.
This game can be played with 2-8 players. We picked it up last year and it is an ongoing game in the house. The game is strategy based, whoever is the last man standing wins. Everyone gets 3 tiles, and has to lay down a path to follow. Sometime you have the opportunity to force others off the board or accidentally force yourself off...

The cheapest I've seen this game for sale is on Amazon for $24. We bought it from our local gamer store and paid a little more than that, but have gotten plenty of use out of it.


I am a huge fan of Thrift Store games, as long as I can open them and make sure all the essential pieces are there. But, occasionally if a game looks too good, we will break down and lay down the cash.

Boardgames with your kids can be a great opportunity for bonding time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends