Books: Homemade Beauty Products, A Body Book for Girls and Upcycling old T-shirts!

I've been on a good book streak lately and there's a couple I thought I'd share. Sharing is fun.
  • The first is EcoBeauty by Lauren Cox.


The book is written for the older teen/early twenties individual in mind, but I found the simplicity of the recipes and straight talk of the importance of taking care of your body refreshing. Everything is raw ingredients and often needs to be refrigerated. I find that to be "extra work" going all the way to the kitchen! But, for an occasional mask and toner it was worth it.
The book has face washes, masks, toners, hair products, body washes, and gift ideas. Quite a few had ingredients that I had around the house, otherwise were more involved and required some hunting out in my neck of the woods. 

Here is one of my favorite recipes:
Bye Bye Blackheads
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons water
Stir all the ingredients together until well mixed. Massage into damp skin, let sit for a few minutes then rinse.

I have also made a pomegranate toner and honey bear cleanser a weekly use.

  • The second is a book for my 11yr old daughter, "The Care and Keeping of You" an American Girl book. Although I am opposed to the toys/dolls of this brand, the book is great.

This book goes over all the pressures involved with being a pre-teen, bullyism due to body changes, society pressures of weight (eating disorders), what to expect during your period; from moodiness, to products, to how to use tampons. The stages of breast development and all the different bra's out there. The book might scare some parents as being to medically graphic, but I  feel strongly that young girls need to know about their bodies and be as comfortable as possible discussing it. This book opens up the opportunity for those discussions. There is also a Volume 2 to this book that we will be picking up. You can find a lot of great books for girls of all ages at A Mighty Girl website.

*I wish there was a book like this for boys, letting them know all the craziness puberty will put them through is normal and ok. 

  • And the last is a actually two books. Generation T by Megan Nicolay.

These 2 books combined have some great ideas for upcycling old t-shirts. Don't we all have an odd addiction to t-shirts. At one time between the hubby and I we owned over 100 t-shirts. There are tank top designs, tube top, skirts, gauchos, bags, blankets, shawls and more. Definitely worth checking out if you have some basic sewing skills and a plethora of shirts you don't want to part with, but don't wear. My daughter has marked a handful of pages to try her own hand at, sewing party!

Enjoy and have fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends