My Youth Part-time Home: Yuma, AZ


I have had a few folks ask me to blog about my youth. Here is a little peek:


About a month ago, my younger sister and I ventured out to Yuma to visit family.  I spent my summers and part of winter break visiting my Dad and Grandma, from toddler years through teen.




It had been 4 years since my last visit. My Grandma (Aubelita) had just started her 88th year. The Dementia made for a bitter-sweet visit. Having to tell her every 15-20 minutes who I was and seeing her excitement every time was both sad and a joy.





Yuma is about 30 miles from the Mexican-border, my Grandmother’s father immigrated to Colorado during the Revolutionary War, her life eventually led her to California, then Arizona. I am 3rd generation Mexican-Indian from Grams. (I won't get into the fact that I am also, Dutch, German and Polish).  I was always very close to Grandma during our summer visits, spending more time at her place then my Dads. Her door was always open to any family member no matter how they treated her or abused her generosity. She also had a limit, once you crossed that “line” her door would smack you in the ass very soon after.




Yuma is full of fields, packed with a mix of local workers and Mexican Immigrants that take a bus over the border for a days work with a minimum wage pay.






I do nothing but eat when I'm in town. Pan Dulce, Tamales, my favorite Potato Taquitos... mmmmm. I'm hungry.








Eventually Sera & I ventured out past the fields on a little excursion to see the property our Dad once owned. The trailer that I spent my summers had burnt down when Sera was around 1, she is 17 now. After the fire, my Dad, his then wife and mother of Sera, plus Sera’s  2 sisters moved to the front of the property in a handmade shack that an old friend (nick-named 6-volt) of my Dads had built & resided in years before. Him and his topless dancer/ construction-working girlfriend separated after too many "domestic disputes" and vacated a few years before the fire.





Its in terrible shape now, but at one time it was Sera’s home. I look at where we both are in life, how much more we have ahead of us and am reminded that it takes hard work to better your own future.  Moral of the story: appreciate what you have and teach your kids to as well.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends