Much too much.

I must continue to emphasize my inability to consistently write this blog. Meh. Here we go anyways. Brace yourself for the quick sum up of April & May Adventures.
In April, myself and a posse of work folk flew out near Monterey, CA to attend The Sea Otter Classic. Where I had the chance to see a few 27.5 / 650b prototypes and engage in intense conversations on the where the future of this new size will go. I was very disappointed to not attend any of the races that occurred and plan to change that next year. Most of the industry folks stay in hotels, not Dirt Rag, we embrace the poison ivy filled camping that surrounds the event, while consuming beer and dried kelp. 

Ellen and I ready for the weekend. That's my happy face and Ellen's metal face.

One of the coolest parts to that weekend was being invited to a sushi dinner with Sidi and spending all night chatting with Paolo Bettini. I am not "in the know" when it comes to the race / podium world. After spending all night talking with Paolo about the decline of civilization in our youth, he tells me he is an Olympic gold medalist. Not in that bragging kind of way, but very humble. My reaction to his statement "Whoa. So, you're kind of a big deal!" and we both laughed. He gave me a word of advice, "Don't ever move to Italy. Just visit." Noted Paolo. 


I can sum up May in two words. Dirt Fest. Being a part of coordinating this amazing event is both exciting and exhausting. I shared a small slice of responsibility pie in is this epic weekend of mountain biking. Set at Raystown Lake, PA on some amazing singletrack. It is a great place for advanced and beginner riders. Not to mention test bikes to take out onto these flowy trails. Also, heavy drinking, live bands, swimming in the lake, houseboat parties, and some ridiculousness.

This photo of one of Lee's franken-bikes pretty much says everything there is to say about Dirt Fest.

This year I had the chance to ride with Rebecca Rusch, an amazing cyclist and all around cool lady. Her and her posse of kick ass ladies taught packed full clinics of some of the basic "how to's" of mountain biking and was able to branch off to those more advanced ladies in the group to give them a little more input. The point of it all, getting more ladies on dirt. After several classes of 20-40 women, its safe to say it was successful.
After a weekend of booth duty and sneaking out for an occasional ride, we packed it in and headed back for Pittsburgh. Only to wake the next day and go for a Karl toured city ride. Taking our two out of townies on an epic journey, while celebrating Emily's b-day. 

B-day ride!

In between the chaos of my job was my little man's 5th b-day. He wanted to go camping, ride his bike, play at the playground and eat cupcakes. Easy mission to accomplish.

Yum, Dinosaur cupcakes.

I even got in a few rides with the hubby and I might just be improving my mountain bike skills.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends