This is bat country!l

Flying to Vegas for Interbike. It's my first time attending and have nervous excitement boiling within me. I'm pretty sure it has minimal to do with the pharmaceutical cocktail I am currently prescribed. We take a puddle jumper from Pittsburgh to Cleveland. They request that we get on the now, so we can bypass a storm, this is said while flashes of lightning shine through large glass windows that show nothing more than a heard of metal birds expelling exhaust and chemicals into this thing we call air.
We make it through the black cloud and ascend to the billowy sky above. 
Cleveland, never been and apparently will not have the chance today.
I get a taste of the camaraderie that envelopes this event, old friends meeting once again. Than board.
A plane is one of few places you can drool while you sleep and everyone seems to understand, it doesn't need to spoken of.
Pilot announcement: "we will be landing in 10 minutes... its a bit of a bumpy decent... we have a little weather to get through... electronics off,  blah, blah, thank you for flying with..." Indeed we will. I've just woken and there is a light dancing in the clouds below. I don't know how often it rains in Las Vegas, but today it had.
We shake and I white knuckle my chair, break through the storm, and there is nothing.
Dust for miles. Lines weaving a pleasant pattern. Lake Mead appears, a black liquid through the night. It could be the tar from the innards of the true evil in the this place, finding a way to seep out... Or it could be a lake and its dark out. In the middle of it all is a boat, half lit up, the Nautical folk aboard might be as well.
First Henderson, streets lit, down a cookie cutter lane. Lights & streets but no houses further down. Just empty rows. There it is. The organ that fuels the veins of this city. Seconds off the plane my ears unwilling to pop can only hear the drowned sounds of musicals, the blinding flashing lights attempting to somehow lure me in, "Barry Manilow! Well if you put it to me like that giant television... how can i not go." Into the heart we go. 10 seconds in the car and I think I counted at least 9 billboards. Relief that I'm not here to indulge in Carrot Top and Elvis weddings flows within.
Hotel. Thank God... off to 2222. A beer and a waffle is in order.
I cannot sleep... but what percent of people truly sleep in this town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends