Day 2

The rain has ceased for now, all hail the sun!
Breakfast burritos and then a quick run to the market for ice and live bait.
Attempted to try and find rain / muck boots for D and I. No luck. Oh well, we are tough girls. We can handle this mud business.
There is about 5 shops in the area. A Dollar General and a very small hardware / craft store seem to be the highlight. I love the lack of need for mass consumerism.
I am wearing a tank top and assume I will frighten the locals with all my tattoos. Instead, I get 3 compliments. Teach me to assume.
Uncle Bob brought his canoe to the pond and I thought, oh, that's nice. The kids get to fish off a boat.
What I did not realize I was required to get on the canoe as well. I am not afraid of water, nor am I afraid of boats or fish. I am afraid that the boat will tip and I will fall in, the hole in my ear filling with water and the danger behind that for me and my 33 year battle with my right ear. Odin has his "lifer-vest" and D is a good swimmer. I am also a good swimmer, but I start running through scenario's of all the bad ways the canoe can tip. White knuckling the edges of the boat and gasping every time Odin decides to shift sides, which is every 2 minutes. The sun roasting us we cut the boat ride short, I'm sure my attempt to hide my relief was not believable.
We finally agree to let the kids get in their swimsuits and go to the swimming hole. The water runs from a fresh spring so it is the temperature of ice. D was determined to get in. She forced herself in, jumped out and said "I'm done".
By 2pm I am hot & tired of hearing "Mommy, I need..." "Mommy, I want..." if only I could sneak a nap in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find your escape place

A great Geek Week

The End of Winter Weekends